Currently enrolled undergraduate students are invited to submit a recent paper demonstrating excellence in library research and writing to the Wesleyan Library Undergraduate Research Prize competition. Papers must be from courses taken from Spring 2020 through Winter 2022. More information is available here. The deadline is March 21, 2022.
Olin Library is open 12 noon – 5pm from Saturday, 12/5 to Friday, 12/11. The Science Library is closed. Please observe all campus safety protocols while in the library. You can see details about library services here: https://www.wesleyan.edu/libr/services.html
I write with an update on library services between now and the extended break.
Please note that between Thanksgiving and the Extended Break
- Olin and Science buildings will close as of 12 noon on 11/25 for the Thanksgiving break.
- Starting Monday, 11/30 through Friday, 12/11, Olin and Science will be open daily 12noon-5pm. Online services and in-building pickup continue as usual.
- From Saturday, 12/12 to Thursday 12/23, Olin and Science buildings will be closed. Online services continue as usual.
- If you are on campus, you can request books and other materials online and pick them up in the Olin vestibule beginning Monday, December 14th. Hours for pickup are 9-5pm, Monday-Friday except during holiday breaks.
- If you are off-campus for the extended break, you can request books and other materials online and ask us to mail them your home address.
- All loans (except for DVDs) have been extended until February 2021
I will be in touch regarding January building hours at a later point. Should changing campus conditions warrant any changes in hours or services, I will let you know. You can see the latest information on the Library Services During COVID web page: https://www.wesleyan.edu/libr/services.html
If you have time, I encourage you to attend “Before You Go” on Wednesday, November 18th 4:30-6:30pm in the Labyrinth Tent. Folks from the Writing Workshop, Presentation Studio, Library, Peer Advisors, Math Workshop, CAPS, and the Resource Center will be there to connect you with resources and advice to support finishing the semester and completing final exams, papers, and projects remotely and successfully. There will be snacks.
We in the library wish you the best on a successful conclusion to the semester. Have a restful and safe break and we look forward to seeing you again very soon, both on campus and online.
Andrew White, University Librarian
With the election fast approaching, it’s important to stay informed. In an attempt to make that a little easier, we wanted to remind you of the national and local news sources you are able to access as a member of the Wesleyan community.
New York Times
Wesleyan students, faculty, and staff have access to New York Times articles both online and through the NYT app. Our institutional subscription also provides access to:
- NYT online archive, dating back to 1851
- Audio and video content
- 50+ Newsletters (Morning Briefing, DealBook, Smarter Living, and more.)
- NYT Cooking app
- NYT in Education website
- Closed captioning, increased font sizes, and other features for vision, hearing, and mobility impairments.
Wall Street Journal
Wesleyan students, faculty, and staff have complete and personalized digital access to The Wall Street Journal and the WSJ app, in addition to exclusive experiences, special events and discounts through WSJ+. Activate your complimentary memberships by visiting WSJ.com/WesleyanU, logging into your school portal, and creating an account on the registration page.
Those who currently pay for an existing membership may call 1-800-JOURNAL, and mention you are switching to a subscription provided by Wesleyan University. Partial refunds will be dispersed.
Content specifically curated for students and professors can be found at the WSJ Education website.
For instructions on accessing additional digital news sources, visit the library’s page on accessing major newspapers.
Some faculty make course reading, viewing, and listening materials available to students through Library Course Reserves. All Fall 2020 reserves are electronic, accessible 24/7 on any device. In Moodle, click on the “Course Reserve” or the “Resource List” link to get to course reserve materials. For non-Moodle courses, click on the “Course Reserve” link on the library homepage (https://www.wesleyan.edu/libr/research/coursereserve.html). Then click on “Access Online Reserve for Courses not in Moodle.” On the Course Reserve Lists page, click “Find Lists” to find your course. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
Library buildings reopen on Monday and students will once again have access to study seats and the collections.
- The library buildings reopen to campus only 8:30am this Monday, September 7 for normal semester hours – card access is required
- Seating is limited based on social distancing guidelines – PPE is required
- Stacks are closed – starting Monday, Sept 7, students can request books via the catalog for contactless pickup in Olin and Science
- For students studying remotely, we are mailing books upon request
- Course reserves are fully online
- For the latest details on library services this semester, go here: https://www.wesleyan.edu/libr/services.html
For more information, please contact:
Andrew W. White
Caleb T. Winchester University Librarian